Shelby Trails Park
5063 Aiken Road
Simpsonville, KY, United States
Programs / Amenities / Events / Activities
Shelby Trails Park is located in Simpsonville, KY at 5063 Aiken Road in the heart of Kentucky horse country with easy access from Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati. Unplug from the hustle and bustle and reconnect with nature on foot or horseback. Spend a little time with friends or family getting back to the basics and connect with horses and the natural environment. Indulge your love of horses and nature! Shelby Trails Park is a great way to experience a great hike, a new adventure for you and your own horse, a guided horseback ride, or take a lesson and learn to ride. The park welcomes hikers, trail runners, bird watchers, and all outdoor and nature enthusiasts.
Shelby Trails Park was officially deeded to Shelbyville/Shelby County Parks & Recreation in 2010 by Dr. Roger & Diane Shott of Anchorage, KY. The Shott’s vision was to dedicate this 387 acre piece of land in Shelby County as an equestrian and nature preserve for all to enjoy. The Shott’s were horse enthusiast and loved their farm and designed, built, and maintained miles of trails for hiking and horseback riding that they enjoyed for many years. Now with their very generous donation to our park system, all of Shelby County and visitors to Shelby County can enjoy their wonderful farm turned into a premiere equestrian park and nature preserve.
Shelby Trails Park has grown to now 462 acres that includes 21 dedicated, groomed, hiking and horseback riding trails, a beautiful 32 stall barn and an indoor and outdoor arena for year-round riding. The park welcomes hikers, trail runners, bird watchers, photographers, and all outdoor and nature enthusiasts. Horse enthusiasts may trailer in your own horse and access all multipurpose park trails after paying the day use fee or purchasing a yearly permit at the barn. There are no fees for hikers and other park patrons.
Red Fern Riding Center is located within Shelby Trails Park and is the official concessionaire of Shelbyville/Shelby County Parks & Recreation. Red Fern Riding Center offers guided trail rides, riding lessons and horse boarding. To learn more and to access their services, visit www.redfernridingcenter.com or call 502-437-4375.
- Gates are open 7am until dusk – foot traffic and horse riding is permitted year around
- Speed limit in the park is 15mph
- Park in designated areas only
- ATVs, motorized vehicles and bikes/bicycles are not permitted in the park
- Smoking on trails or in buildings is prohibited
- Use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited
- Pets must be leashed and under control of owner at all times. Pets are not permitted in the stable and/or fenced pastures without prior permission granted by Red Fern Riding Center staff. Please clean up pet waste.
- Payments for day passes and/or yearly trail permits can be made at the barn
- Please stay within park property and do not trespass on private property
- Campfires and fireworks are not allowed
- Swimming and fishing in ponds is prohibited
- Discharge of firearms is prohibited
- Fighting, offensive language and bullying will not be tolerated
- RVs, camping and overnight parking is prohibited
- No private individual is entitled to use the park for their own capital gain
- Personal safety – accompany the park with a buddy, let others know where you are going and for how long. Always carry a personal ID, emergency contact information and cell phone
- Do not disturb and please respect vegetation and wildlife. Do not feed wildlife.
- Leave no trace
- Only animals with a current negative Coggins test are allowed to enter the park, owners shall possess current certificate of proof when in the park
- All park entry should be made through the main gate at 5063 Aiken Road
- Please remain on established trails
- Shelbyville/Shelby County Parks Board and Red Fern Riding Center LLC is not responsible for accidents or injury to you, your horse or personal property. State recreation law applies.
- It is a privilege to ride on park property, please do not abuse this privilege.
More Information about Shelby Trails Park
Shelby Trails Park is conveniently located close to Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati.
5063 Aiken Road Simpsonville, KY 40067
The Park is just 35 minutes from downtown Louisville!
Take I-64 E to Old Henry Rd. Take exit 29 from I-265/KY-841 E/Gene Snyder Fwy. Merge onto I-64 E 7. Keep left to stay on I-64 E 8. Take exit 19B for I-265 N/KY-841 N/Gene Snyder Fwy. Merge onto I-265/KY-841 E/Gene Snyder Fwy. Take exit 29 for Old Henry Rd Drive to Aiken Rd in Shelby County. Turn right onto Old Henry Rd 12. Turn right onto Bush Farm Rd. Continue onto Aiken Rd. Shelby Trails Park will be on the right.
The Park is just one hour from Lexington!
Take exit 28 from I-64 W. Merge onto I-64 W/I-75 N 9. Keep left at the fork to continue on I-64 W, follow signs for Frankfort/Louisville. Take exit 28 for KY-1848 toward Simpsonville Continue on State Hwy 1848/Todds Point Rd. Drive to KY-362. Turn right onto State Hwy 1848. Turn left onto Midland Trail/Shelbyville Rd. Turn right onto State Hwy 1848/3rd St/Todds Point Rd Continue to follow State Hwy 1848/Todds Point Rd. Turn left onto KY-362 W and Shelby Trails will be on the left.
The Park is just 1.5 hours from Cincinnati!
From I-71 S entering Kentucky, keep left to continue on I-71 S/I-75 S 6. Keep right at the fork to continue on I-71 S, follow signs for Louisville. Take exit 22 for KY-53 toward Ballardsville/La Grange Follow KY-53 S and KY-1315 S to KY-362 W, Shelby County. Turn left onto KY-53 S/S 1st St (signs for Shelbyville/Ballardsville) Continue to follow KY-53 S 9. Slight right to stay on KY-53 S 10. Slight right onto KY-1315 S 11. Turn right onto KY-362 W – Shelby Trails Park will be on your left.